Wednesday, December 23, 2009


30 Day Shred (AKA Sarah's crazy attempt to start something new the week of Christmas)

We got snowed in around here. And mind you, we don't get much snow in these parts. A couple times a winter it snows, 3-4 inches is a good snow. We got 20 inches. 20! Insane amount of snow. So because no one in the state was actually prepared, our neighborhood was never graced with a plow; effectively shutting me in since last Saturday. I blame all of this on VDOT.

Sunday we shoveled. Good grief did we shovel. I'm thinking the whole time that I would look at it as a workout. (P.S. - haven't actually worked out in...a while...) Totally fell off the exercise bandwagon and the wagon never seemed to come by and pick me up again. But the shoveling - it was a nice kick start. (That and Q's Blog - just seeing her name gives me exercise guilt - love you LAQ!)

That, and I knew God had been speaking to me for quite some time about food and exercise. (Oh yeah, and my intake of diet sodas - that's a whole other blog story). I lost thirty pounds during the first part of 2008 and I've kept it off. A victory to be sure. But the last twenty have kinda stuck around. I think I've gained and lost the same five pounds four dozen times this year. It's kind of annoying. And when I get quiet before God, well, we end up at the food, exercise and diet coke issues.

So I re-committed to the food plan the Lord lead me to and started praying for grace and help daily to stay within the boundaries he has placed me in.

That left exercise and the Diet Coke. But funny thing about exercise. I naturally drink more water when I work out so the Diet Coke problem hasn't been a problem.

So Monday I did a TurboJam tape. Chalene can be a little too perky and happy but it's a solid workout. Especially for those of us snowed in.

Then Monday night, I found Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred" on the Apple TV and three things crossed my mind

1- it's short. 20 minutes. Even I can fit in 20 minutes.
2 - it's less than $10
3 - 30 Days. Even I can focus on something for 30 days.

So I downloaded it and Tuesday I did the first work out level 1/day 1. Since I was already sore from the shoveling/TurboJam combo earlier, I was a bit concerned.

Many, many things crossed my mind during the workout but were thankfully censored because the kids are home.


1- push-ups. hate them.
2 - jumping jacks - bouncing isn't very flattering and they're hard - especially when your legs are on fire from everything else
3 - my upper body is weak, weak, WEAK!
4 - not-so-nice-thoughts about Jillian. I know that "flat abs don't come free." (But I would gladly purchase if I could...)

I survived but it hurt to move. And breathe.

Waking and standing upright was painful today but I couldn't quit already. I didn't even want to take a rest day. 30 days. I wanted to push through - so I did Level 1/Day 2. The workout is set up in three levels so in theory, you should do level 1 for ten days.

It hurts to move. And breathe. And standing takes a focused effort and moans of pain. (P.S. The moaning doesn't actually help).

Day 3 may kill me.

I abandoned this blog a while back feeling a little lost, unsure what I wanted to talk about, or why. But accountability, even if it's on a blog, is a nice motivator. That, and I imagine that I'm not alone in my struggles. So if anyone is still out there listening, let me know.

Either way, if I still have use of my hands, I'll be back tomorrow to check in.

Peace, Love and Ibuprofen.
~Sarah~





Labels: , ,