Wednesday, May 23, 2007


Birthdays on the Brain


Cross post from "The Good Life"

Today is my daughter's 8th birthday. I think I'm every bit as excited about her birthday as she is. We actually had her party last Friday - her first sleepover party. We took some of her friends to Justice (a clothing store my daughter loves) where they all got their hair styled like rock stars and got their make-up and nails done as well. Then they came back to the house for pizza, ice cream cake and the sleepover.

We have always made a big deal about birthdays around here. To me, what is more exciting than celebrating the day you were delivered here by God Himself? I mean, that's pretty cool! My own birthday is December 30th. Tragically sandwiched between the brouhaha of Christmas and New Years. My birthday was always a bust. I always felt a little bit shafted, okay, who am I kidding, I felt completely neglected on my birthday. My own parents would forget! Oh yeah, didn't you have a birthday?

So perhaps that is also why I make a big deal out of my kid's birthdays. I am always careful to plan out a budget and stick to it, but I have found that a great birthday doesn't have to cost a fortune. It's really about making memories and celebrating with others. It's about making that kid feel special - simply because they are.

I don't know when your birthday is, and whether you get showered with love or forgotten, but you have to know that your birthday is very special. It was the day that God placed you here so that you could fulfill His purposes for you. You were created by God and that is cause for celebration. I can't even imagine the joy God has for us, because as a fallen parent, my heart is just full today as I think about my wonderful 8 year old girl. Wow, if I can feel so much for her, I wouldn't be able to contain the depth of God's pleasure in us. He takes pleasure in you. You are valuable simply because you are His.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I still have to go get one more birthday present for my own birthday girl today.