Friday, February 11, 2005


Exercise- my dreaded foe

Alright. For some time now I have felt the Lord's urging to get exercising. My first repsonse is, ew. It's not that I'm against exercise, I hear it's very good for you, but I've never been one of those athletic types you see running outside as the wind and rain whip around their heads. No, I'm more of an indoor girl. I'll often hear those promptings from the Lord and start something - aerobics, workout tapes, etc but then somehow, I stop doing it until I hear those promptings again. Why don't I ever listen the first time around? And why do I lack the consistency to stick with it? Do you have that problem? Sticking with something?

Well, I do. But I'm pleased to say that I am on week 6 of a running program. I've never been able to run this long in my entire life. Right now I'm running on the treadmill unless it's over 50 degrees but I'm still running. I have the $80 shoes and tendonitis in my left foot to prove it. And as much as I hate to admit it. There are some real benefits to regular exercise.

I actually feel better. Just an overall sense of well-being
I'm not as stressed (or I'm handling it better - not sure which)
I'm able to get more accomplished.
My body doesn't feel as achy (minus the tendonitis thing)
My mood is better - just more patient all around (and with three kids, I really need that!)

So whether I want to admit it or not, exercise has been a good addition to my life. It's still hard to be motivated to do it though. This week is the first week I've been inconsistent - opting to turn off my alarm rather than get up and run. But all is not lost and I can still get back to it. That's why I'm writing this post after all - because I need to run today - even if I don't feel like it.

So any of you avoiding something you know you should be doing too? Today is a new day. Get to it, and I will too. Don't grow weary in doing well.