Sunday, July 31, 2005


Pushing Forward

Runners describe the sensation of hitting a wall at some point when they are running - a place where they feel like they can't go another step but if they push themselves to take that next step then they can break through it and keep running.

Obviously, I have never actually experienced this myself. My running experience is well, erratic at best. And I have described before how feeling overwhelmed can actually drive me into this closet of inactivity. I'll have more to do than ever before and I'll suddenly be wandering aimlessly around the house and laying on the floor staring at the ceiling.

It's happened before. And I have the urge to lay on my floor right now, or maybe go pop in an old movie and free my mind from responsibility. Yet the sheer magnitude of what I have to accomplish - well, that would just be foolish. I have to work. I have to get this stuff finished. I have people depending on me and deadlines to meet.

So I have to push forward, take that next step and the next one, click off each step of the process, forcing myself to do my best and then move on to the next thing. It's all I can do.

Even though a nap sounds just about perfect right now...