Friday, February 18, 2005


You Are What You Wear

I watched Oprah yesterday - I like Oprah, but I don't catch the show very often because of well, life but something caught my ear from three rooms away as my kids were flipping channels. Some voice said "Lose ten pounds instantly!" This I had to hear. So I made my daughter wait to put in her Barbie tape until after the episode was over.

I learned that nearly every pair of pants I own should be burned. Yep. You see, in my mind, tapered jeans were good because they at least made my ankles look smaller, right? Not. Apparently tapered jeans make your ankles look thinner, but everything else bigger. And I certainly don't want anything appearing even bigger than it already is. Then there are the baggy sweaters that may cover any rolls but end up making you look like a big balloon, and the need for "Industrial strength" undergarments. I did an inventory of what I owned, and though it's gotten much better over the last few years, there was still a lot of stuff I realized had to go. Cause I don't know about you but I don't see myself from behind very often (and I'd like to keep it that way) so I never even thought about how clothes can make a noticeable difference in how you look.

I imagine that teens who aren't a size zero probably have a hard time finding clothes nowadays - especially when an XL T-shirt at Old Navy looks like it will fit my five year old. And not everybody is built to be able to successfully wear low-rise jeans - even if you haven't had three kids. The big thing I took away from the episode was this: Wear what is right for you. It may be very tempting to wear the latest thing that absolutely everybody is wearing, but if it looks bad on you, you should definitely resist. When we feel comfortable with what we're wearing then we feel more comfortable in our own skin.

I've always had issues with body image, and you don't have to be overweight to struggle with the way you look. I'm all for looking our best and losing weight if it's needed, but we come in all shapes and sizes. I have to deal with the fact that I will never be tiny and look like those paper thin stars on the cover of all the magazines. It's not realistic for me. So the next time you find yourself critisizing yourself or complaining about the way you look, just stop, go look in the mirror and find three things that are great about you. Maybe you have stunning eyes or perfect hair. My favorite feature? I think I have nice feet. It may be silly, but it's always better to think on the good. Then maybe we'll think good about others as well. It's a win-win situation.

Now, if I'm getting rid of the jeans, is it fair to send them to Goodwill where someone else who shouldn't be wearing them might buy them?

I have to go shopping...