Saturday, September 03, 2005


Light in the darkness

It is such a gorgeous day here in Virginia that I almost feel guilty enjoying it. I had to finally turn off the news last night because I just couldn't watch anymore. I feel so bad for those that lost everything but lately all the media wants to do is bash everyone and everyone for not doing enough, for not being prepared, for not responding correctly.

I don't think critisizing does anyone any good - especially when we're in the midst of the tragedy. I don't know why it's taking so long to get everyone out - but I sincerely doubt anyone is doing it on purpose. And I don't know why they didn't have a plan in place when what happened was more a matter of "when" not "if".

It's the same thing with each other. It's like that old saying about getting more with honey. The Bible talks about "encouraging one another daily" so that we are not hardened by sin. (Heb 3:13) Why do we want to tear down when we need to build one another up?

Why worry about the terrorists when we'll gladly destroy each other from within?

I'd rather the news focus on all the stories of how people are helping one another instead of just finding people who will rant and rave on camera. It's an awful situation to be sure but instead of showing only the depravity, let's start rejoicing over the good. And there is SO much good, too. Even in the midst of something terrible, God is still God - all the time.