Tuesday, January 24, 2006


Creativity, the Church and a crazy-big conference.



I'm speaking at a conference this weekend. I'm not one of the main speakers (though the fact that all the main speakers are male could instigate a whole other topic that I will resist and not broach right now). But I was asked to teach a workshop and I am pretty excited about that. I felt God's leading from the title to what I am going to share on. The title is: Releasing the Artist Within: Creativity in the Body of Christ.

I know I will only be able to share a small portion of what I want to because all that I am reading and studying is just stirring up that passion again. I've been reading books, the Bible and my copious Act One notes from my month long immersion in artistry. It was Act One that made me realize that God created me as an artist - and I didn't need to be ashamed of that.

So it's all good - I'm studying, seeing what I need to say and then I find out that they have almost 1,000 people registered for this conference.

Yikes!

I had no idea it was going to be that crazy-big. Plus, the messages I share tend to be a little, well, different from the typical things they talk about at these conferences. So I already kind of feel like I'm trying to make a case for artistry and professionalism in the church. To convince people to not simply tolerate it but see it for it's value in reflecting beauty and truth. The arts are for us all because they reflect God's very nature.

I'm not sure how it's all going to go over. And I know I'll spend a great deal of time fielding questions from confused conferees about why I would write fiction - since fiction is "just all lies" anyway. Ay-yi-yi.

But no matter how I feel, I know it will be a great conference because I know God is at work. Maybe I can talk them into having Barb Nicolosi come speak next year. Now wouldn't that be fun:-)

So if you think about it, pray for me. I'm gonna need it.

Find out more here!
Awaken the Dawn: