Thursday, February 24, 2005


Sticking to it

I've not always been the best at sticking with things. Oh, I've got good reasons, lots of 'em, but the fact is - I get bored. There is a Scripture that says "Do not grow weary in well-doing." (I'd look up where to find it if I had the energy.) I'll admit that sometimes I do grow weary in well-doing. Maybe that's why it's so hard to build spiritual disciplines into our lives. Some people are just naturally disciplined - they can incorporate new things into their lives without so much as a ripple. Me, I decide I'm going to do something, and I take off at a 100 miles an hour, and then never finish the race.

I say that because I had my weekly Bible Study yesterday. Sounds very small-town and sweet doesn't it? But let me tell you that this Bible Study is changing my life - from the inside out. I can't even articulate how my perspective has changed about God and myself. But I was under a deadline last week (my boxful of forty books) and I didn't get my homework for the week done. So Wednesday morning came and I thought maybe I shouldn't go. After all, I'm way too concerned about what people might think of me. I didn't want them thinking I was some sort of slacker. But I went anyway. And I'm so glad I did, because that session really, really blessed me. In the past, when I've fallen behind, I'd just give up and drop out of the Bible Study. But this time I'm going to press through. I can catch up - I want to catch up. I don't want to miss out on what God has begun inside of me. I wonder how many other things I've missed out on when I've been sidetracked with obstacles the enemy has thrown at me. And that's who is always behind the testing. The enemy doesn't want us getting set free or really believing God. He can't stop God from calling out to us so he works overtime to distract us - in any way he can, from what God has put before us. I've got to stop letting him win.

Someone once told me it takes ninety days of doing something to create a new habit. I'm not sure if that's true, but I do know the longer you stick with something the more it becomes part of your life. What habit is God asking you to start in your life?

And just so you know - the life-changing Bible Study I'm taking? You can take it too. It's Beth Moore's Believing God.