Tuesday, April 05, 2005


Easter Candy and the Art of Self-Control

By the title you can tell where I'm going with this. There is entirely too much Easter Candy - i.e. chocolate - in my house. I can resist cheap chocolate - I can pass by Hershey Kisses and the no-named chocolate Easter balls with no problem. It's the Dove chocolate bunnies that my mother stuck in my kid's Easter baskets that I have trouble with. That and the BJ's size case of Lindt Truffles that are (not) hidden in my husband's closet.

I went to the gym today and did over an hour of aerobics and the whole time I'm thinking - "Why am I sweating my butt off just to go home and ruin in with the chocolate that I'm bound to shove in my mouth?" And hence the self-control issue. I have it in spades in some areas of my life but somehow come up de-void in the area of eating - well, to be specific, sugar and sweets. I mean, if I was eating carrots by the handfuls I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

I know the exercise is good for me regardless of my eating habits. But it would probably actually cause some change if I'd do both instead of just one or the other. And frankly, I'm just tired of being bigger than I should be.

But I'm going to have to get this Easter candy out of the house - and not the way I'd like to do it either.