Wednesday, March 23, 2005


The Fight for Terri

I have watched with great interest, and prayer, the fight now happening in Florida to save Terri's life. Amazing how a woman has become the center of a very political debate, when it should be simply a moral debate.



This link will take you to information about Terri and what is happening from her parent's perspective. What I think horrifies me the most is that so many of the talking heads on the news programs, and even doctors, presume to know what Terri is and is not aware of. How could ANY of us know that? Or even presume to know that? It seems so common sensical to realize that there are severe limitations to us really knowing what is going on with her. We assume coma victims can hear us. A recent episode of ER gave a quite dramatic demonstration of how a stroke vitim was completely aware of what was happening but was unable to communicate at all. The last day my father was alive, he was also unable to communicate, but he turned to the sound of our voices and seemed to be trying to respond. It comes to our self-pride as humans, to believe that we know a lot more than we really do.

What they are doing to Terri right now would be construed as cruel and unusual punishment were it done to a criminal in our judicial system. It's astounding that this many judges (saying that they are just following the law) refused to step in and stop what is going on. But as I watch this I can't help but notice that the blinders to morality and justice are thick. Just as the Isrealites could not recognize Jesus because of the blinders on their eyes, so much of our nation, particularly the judges, can not see how horrible this situation is. They have been blinded by the enemy. So what to do? We must pray. I'm glad people are down there. A number from my own church are speaking out on Terri's behalf. But the rest of us need to be praying because this is not just about Terri - this decision is a slippery slope for our nation - one we don't want to go down.

I don't want to think that some judge could have ordered the death of my father in those last weeks. When it was time for him to go, he went, peacefully. I don't want to think that some judge or lawyer could decide what I am and am not capable of and decide my life, or the life of someone I love, is not valuable enough to continue.

So please, pray. Pray for our nation, pray for our leaders and pray for Terri and her family. Only God can change hearts.