Monday, April 11, 2005


Spring Has Sprung

Oh, how I love the Spring!

"See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come;
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance."
Song 2:11-13a

I know we still have some rain to come but spring rains are so different from winter rains. I live in a place where we get four seasons a year. I joke with my husband that I want to live somewhere where it's 70 degrees and gorgeous all year long, but the spring coming after a long winter refreshes me. I don't think I would appreciate the spring as much if it were never winter.

And the same is true for joy and sorrow. I would rather everything stay happy and wonderful, but sorrow, and even tragedy does come. But I know the spring will come again too. I know that God will refresh and renew the Earth...and me.

The season of singing will come again.

So I like being where the seasons change and I'm reminded to trust God to bring newness to me. (But you may have to remind me of all this when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity this summer.)