Thursday, June 09, 2005


Mission Minded...

So we've been discussing mission statements on one of the multiple e-mails loops I'm on. I'm going to try and dig up my original one to share here in the next few days but today, I thought I'd mention a few reasons why it's good to have one at all.

We all know ministries have mission statements - they basically state the purpose for existing. No one would build a business without an express purpose. But as individuals, we should know what our purpose is too. Otherwise we wander aimlessly from one phase of our lives to the next with no real focus other than dealing with what life throws at us. Yes, we can survive, but I'm talking about thriving here. To really thrive, we should have an understanding of why God put us here and what He wants us to do with that time.

That purpose is different for each of us, and may be expressed a little differently during different phases of our lives.

So why a mission statement?

1. It provides direction. When you are presented with a dozen different opportunities to serve, a mission statement can help you wade through all the needs to find the one that fits in with the purpose God has given you. We should always be willing to serve in basic everyday ways, but when taking on big projects, they should be things God has actually called us to do.

2. It reminds us that we really do have purpose and of the passion God placed in us. I don't know about you, but my passion for anything can wane when I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed with everyday labors.

3. It helps us remember that we are to do "all things unto Him" and it is in Him that "we live and move and have our being". A mission statement calls us back to the One who created us - with our own unique gifts and talents, likes and dislikes...

4. It provides focus for what we ARE doing. My writing could go in SO many different directions - there are way too many possibilities. So just knowing that I'm supposed to write doesn't necessarily help me very much. What am I supposed to write and to whom? I'm still figuring some stuff out but a mission statement makes it easier to sort out the rabbit trails from everything else.

So how do you start? The first step is to write down all the things that get you excited. What are your natural talents and abilities? What do you enjoy doing? What are you really passionate about?

More to come:-)