Sunday, May 29, 2005


Writing Movies

I'm a novelist - and after five novels, I have sort of rhythym I get into while I'm writing. Kind of like jumping in and finding that perfect current to take you down the river.

But writing movies? It's a whole different beast altogether. It's like working with oils when all you've done is charcoals. The thing i miss the most is being able to write character's thoughts. All my novels are in first person - giving me the luxury of having easy access to the thoughts and feelings of my leading lady. But no go in a movie. I have to force myself to think differently - imagine other ways to make what I see on the screen in my head, show up on the page.

I really love it. Maybe it's because I do love new challenges and learning new things. But more than that, I love movies. When I get stuck I lean back and close my eyes...

What will happen next?

And then I let the movie roll in my mind. I can stop, pause, rewind and rewrite. I can find other ways to let the audience know what's going on in my character's mind.

But did I mention how hard it was? The less words I have to work with, the harder it is to produce them. I can write twice as much prose in the time it takes me to write a page of a screenplay - not what I expected. I have to stop and think more. I know what has to happen next, but how should it happen, what should it look like, where should it take place and who should be there?

So many questions.

So I'll keep you up to date on how it's coming. Now that I have an actual deadline, no more fooling around. It's time to get to work.

(So, Sarah, then why are you blogging? I know, I know, I'm going now...)