Friday, May 27, 2005


The Urging of the Lord

My grandmother, who lives in an apartment in our basement, got a phone call from her sister last night that another sister was in the hospital and "it didn't look good". My Great-Aunt Maggie had a stroke years ago and for as long as I've known her she has been in a wheelchair and unable to talk - she tries, but she's impossible to understand. She is just so sweet though, and her face lights up when she sees my kids! As soon as I heard how sick she was, I felt the Lord prompting me to go and see her. Now this is no easy feat - it's an eight hour trip with three kids six and under but...

I've learned to not ignore those urgings in my spirit. The Lord speaks to us in many ways. And different people experience His voice differently. But ignoring a prompting of the Lord? That's not something I want to do anymore. I want to endeavor to live a life without regrets - one where I went when He said "go".

Besides. I'd rather go see her and give her a hug now...then just go the funeral later. And it will only be a blessing if we go now - even if this turns out to be a false alarm, we've still been able to give her a smile and let her know how much we love her.

So even as my mind races over the crazy logistics of a Memorial weekend trip and how much more I can get done if I stay here and the deadlines that are fast approaching and...

well, does any of it really matter if He says to go?

Here's to going...