Monday, November 28, 2005


1,200 to 100

So my series is more than 1,200 pages long if you put all the books together. That's a lot of story. As I started to prepare the outline and pick out the part I wanted to tell, I wondered if I'll be able to get it all in there.

At least I won't have to worry about filling it out, I just need to make sure I don't bloat the thing.

I'm already a little sad that I can't go into several story lines - it will just be too much to reasonably deal with.

I wrote two pages today - yes, dismal I know, but I wrote. That and reviewed my Act One materials, trying to make sure I keep in mind as much as I can. I looked over "formatting", reviewed "visual images" and then got stuck on an article that Thom Parham wrote.

Because frankly, even though Beka deals with being a Christian, I don't want it to be like so many of those "bad films". Even though I write from a Christian worldview, I want to be able to deal honestly with my audience, move them with beauty and say something meaningful without ever saying it.

Can I do this? I wonder.

And if I can do this well, will I ruin my chances of doing well in the contest?

If only I could talk to the contest judges and find out their thoughts on Hollywood and the movie industry.

But it's not really what I should focus on anyway, really. I should just tell the story, as well as I possibly can. That's really all I can do. I can't control what they want, how they react or what will happen.

I might as well control it while I can - and just write it!