Saturday, April 22, 2006


Emergency Room Mom

I heard the crash.

It didn't sound good and I was there in less than half a minute and yet I came around the corner to find my beautiful three year old covered in blood. She had pulled a small table on top of her and it landed on her face. She had a deep gash in her forehead and much smaller one next to her nose. Her older sisters were terrified by all the blood.

To tell you the truth, I was too, but forced myself to stay calm.

Pressure to the wound.
Get her dressed.
Get her to the emergency room.

She cried so much - all the way to the hospital. Every time someone looked at the wounds. And when they wrapped her up to restrain her for the stitches...she cried and screamed so much I had to leave the room. My husband helped hold her down. I came in near the end, just to let her know that I was there, but I couldn't bring myslef to watch what they were doing.

My heart feels like it's been squeezed, and even now, to see her swollen and bruised face makes me hurt inside.

It could have been so much worse. I am grateful that it didn't damage her eyes or her teeth. That the wound was straight. So many things I am thankful for.

If only I could have taken the pain from her and carried it myself.

And all at once I remember the suffering of Christ, and what God must have felt as He watched His son die. For us.