Monday, April 03, 2006


That's Not Fair!

I have an overactive sense of fairness. I get frustrated at the carpool lines when one lane is allowed to go one forever and the other lane - MY lane - has to sit and wait. And I got made at the DMV this morning. Could that place be any more ridiculous? I had a B number. Only two people were calling B numbers, while the D numbers had four people calling. Now, yes, I realize that it could be that some computer makes it fair...but I really don't think so.

After waiting more than an hour with my three year old (which really translates to the equivalent of five hours) I had to leave before they got to my number. What were those people doing up there anyway? One guy was at one window for the entire time I was there.

Surely there has to be a better system.

And you know that parable about the workers in the field (Matthew 20)? The one where the workers who worked only a little got the same wage as those who worked all day? That is so not fair! Jesus uses this parable to point out envy in our hearts and ultimately, how even those who choose to follow God with their dying breath will receive heaven just as those of us who walk with Him daily will.

The Scriptures also talk about how God "does not show favoritism" (Acts 10:34) And yet, it is easy to think He does. Why does my friend get to have a four hour labor and I go on and on for twenty hours? It just doesn't seem fair.

I believe what God says. I really do. But some days are easier than others. Am I willing to be treated unjustly knowing that God sees everything? Am I willing to let go of the things that don't really matter? (What is it to me when someone gets in the 15 items or less lane with a cart full of groceries?)

So I confess! I get upset when things don't seem fair. Yet I have a sneaking suspicion that the things that upset me this morning aren't going to matter even a few days from now. God may be just but this world we live in - not so much. And for now, we have to be willing to take the rain and the sunshine.

But I'm still not going back to the DMV anytime soon!