Wednesday, March 08, 2006


Just amazing!

So sue me - I love my reality television. Of course, The Amazing Race isn't just any old reality show. Those that are already fans, you know what I mean. Those that aren't, well I probably won't convince you anyway:-)

My husband and I always try to decide which roadblock (an activity the teams must complete before moving on - they choose between two) we would do if we were running the race together. Sometimes we choose wisely, and sometimes we don't. You don't get all the details sometimes and often racers will start one project only to abandon it to try the other one.

God doesn't give us all the details either. He guides us. He has a plan. But He's not always very clear about the details of that plan. Think of Joseph and his dreams. God gave him the dreams AND they came to pass. He saw his family bowing down to him. But just look at all he went through before he got there. He was thrown in a pit, sold like a slave, falsely accused, thrown in prison. You get the idea. Somehow I think knowing all those details might have put a bit of a damper on Joseph. So in His mercy and grace, God shares with us on a need-to-know basis.

That doesn't always go over with me very well since I'm an information-gatherer at heart. Strange rash - I'm on the Internet looking it up. Strange word - I'm whipping out my college dictionary. Strange idea - and I'm off exploring it. It's just the way I am. My three-year old, when given a "no" to something often says, "but I neeeed it."

I feel the same way with God. "But I neeeeeed to know."

God's not buying it. And I'm probably better off. I know what I'm supposed to be doing now and I have a vision for the future. How I get from here to there? Well, I'm just going to have to trust God. It's not like He ever gives us a vision for something, tosses it in our laps and then leaves us to figure it out. He walks us through step-by-step and only when we've come full circle will we see how all the pieces of our lives fit together.

And that's just as it should be.

(But I'd still like to know if I'm going to get to write another book!!)