Monday, February 27, 2006


Onward Ho!

I've been a little...unfocused lately. Sadly, I am deadline driven and without a deadline, I've been aimless and fairly unproductive. And yes, I've tried the "give myself a deadline" thing but really, I know that it's just me giving the deadline and my boss-self has been way too lenient on my employee-self - allowing long lunch breaks, unfettered access to the Internet and afternoons spent only reading e-mail.

It's all gotten completely out-of-hand.

But yesterday one of my Act One friends came to have lunch with me. What a breath of fresh air! I don't know what it is about communicating ideas "out loud" that energizes me so much, but it does. I've been struggling with a piece (that's code for "not working on") and in the midst of the conversation I randomly mentioned an idea I had last year for a movie. She loved it and the more I thought about it the more excited I became. I feel more confident tackling this new story than I did the other. (Especially after the Horrible Review of my last screenplay). It's an idea that is commercial and could work well.

And.

Here's the best part.

We've set minimum goals before we met again. While my boss-self will be lenient with my employee-self, I draw the line at humiliating myself for not having done something that I agreed to do. There are some areas that a little bit of pride can help in the productivity department!

So I have a new movie to work on. A deadline to complete the treatment and outline. And a sense of excitement for telling a new story.

Amazing what one lunch can do!