Monday, July 03, 2006


What about me?


I bet you've never asked that question. I seem to be asking it a lot lately. There's a saying that has become very popular in Christian circles - "it's all about Him" - that makes some feel that they asking the "what about me?" question is wrong and sinful.

I don't think it's sinful. It's pretty natural. And God understands. I think there's actually more danger in not admitting we feel that way from time to time. There's a balance found in living for Him, and remembering that He came to die for you. If you were important enough for Him to die for you, then you are still important - you have value, you have a purpose - it is just found in Him now. So it's about Him - and us. We are part of His grand and wonderful plan.

All this made me think of an old song:

"What about me
It isn't fair
I've had enough now I want my share
Can't you see
I wanna live
But you just take more then you give"


I want my share. You see, I've been getting a boatload of rejections and it's like every one is a bucketful of water in my little life boat. After each one that gets poured in, I wonder if this is the one that's going to topple me into the water for good. And it seems like a lot of people in the boats around me aren't getting any water poured in their boat.

It just doesn't seem fair.

But the reason I believe that the "What about me?" question isn't wrong to ask is because there is really another question lurking behind it: "Do you still love me?"

When we are being blessed and loved on by God it's easy to feel loved. When we feel like we are being passed over and pushed aside, it's easy to feel that maybe God just doesn't like us anymore.

But feelings aren't necessarily truth. The thing that must hold me steady is that no matter what the circumstances, no matter how much water gets poured on my parade, God is still for me. He still loves me. That's what I have to hang on to even when I don't feel it. God hasn't forgotten about me and He hasn't forgotten about you. Just as He is at work inside of me - teaching me deeper and deeper levels of trust, He is always at work in you, too.

So if you're in the same sinking boat as I am - hang tight.

God is in the boat with you.


Cross-Post for the new 4:12 Live! teen blog Girls, God and the Good Life - same blog with a new name.