Wednesday, November 15, 2006


nano redux

I don't know who invented the bar graph, but it's wonderfully satisfying to see my bar graph getting higher and higher.

In fact, I find it rather addicting. "I have to write today because I have to make my bar graph go higher." And after I add in my new word count I go back and refresh all my pages just to look at the new numbers on my icon, like I have done something great.

Deadlines, even self imposed ones, are good for me apparently. Nothing like pressure to make stuff cook faster, eh? I know it will need work when I'm done but I am making progress - and that's a lot more than I was doing before November.

But here's my problem. As addicted as I am to bar graphs, I also happen to be addicted to feedback (the positive kind). My husband is always good for this kind of feedback but he'd like me to finish the whole thing so he can read it all the way through. That way he doesn't have to wait to find out what happens, and also keeps him from hovering over the keyboard. But it means that I also have to wait to hear what someone else thinks of this story.

And I so want to hear what someone else thinks because I really, really, really love this story. While the whole Totally Unfamous story came out of a desire to offer something new to my readers, I have fallen in love with Lucy and yesterday I was completely emotional over the story that I am discovering along the way. My creative side is loving this pace. It's like riding a bike downhill. You just hold on and enjoy the ride.

So, at the end of the month, I'm hoping I'm not the only one who loves the story. I guess you will all get to weigh in on it at some point because it's going to be posted online in a reverse blog platform, free for all to read. Right now I'm trying to gather around me a group of readers (for that general feedback) and editors (a few people who will go through it thoroughly to get it ready for going live) so that when it comes time to release it, it will be in great shape.

I think I'm just excited to be working on something and making regular progress on it. That and those immensely satisfying bar graphs.