Sunday, August 06, 2006


Extreme Makeover

We're in the process of re-doing our upstairs bedrooms. For the past three years, I have used one of those bedrooms as an office, but we are slowly trying to transition it downstairs so that each of my three girls can have their own bedrooms. For me, it's a matter of practicality. I want all the toys downstairs moved upstairs and in order to do that, more space would be very helpful.

Only it looks like my house has been ransacked. And I can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel. It all looks overwhelming and I'm tired and I want it to be finished. Two solid days of work and I still have stuff everywhere.

Last week, the pastor mentioned the story of Joseph - how he was sold by his brothers, imprisoned and was falsely accused - all before the vision God gave him came to pass. I can't help but wonder what struggles Joseph may have had when he was in the middle of that story. Do you think he ever wondered if he heard the right thing? Do you think he ever wanted to give up?

My life feels very much like my house right now. I feel like I'm being stretched and tested on every possible level. Yet part of me knows that I might be in the middle of the story. Joseph didn't have the benefit of being able to read ahead to find out exactly how God was going to work everything out. And unfortunately, I don't either. In my human fraility, I worry and wonder if it will all be worth it.

"God works all things together for the good of those that love him."

I do believe that. But when you're in the middle of the upheaval it's easy to get weary. It's easy to wonder. It would be nice if I could get that one week Extreme makeover from God. Learn what I need to learn so that this winter of my life can finally turn to spring.

But just like I'm going to need to plow through the mess in my hallway, I will need to keep plowing through my life as well. Believing that there is an ending to this particular story that I simply don't know yet.

What I do know is that my seven year old's "Hula Monkey" room is finished. She is SO thrilled. And I have to admit - It makes all that work worth it:-)